I’m a big fan of magnesium during pregnancy. Here’s why you need it…
- It’s supportive for your muscles tissues. When you have enough magnesium you are less likely to get muscle cramps (if that’s an issue for you – check out my post on solutions for cramps)
- Our bodies use magnesium to calm stress. When your body’s levels of magnesium are sufficient, it’s easier to get into the “rest & digest” side of your autonomic nervous system also known at the parasympathetic response. Believe me – you want this! This is what allows you to relax and feel good.
- You need it to build your baby’s body! The more that you are in that parasympathetic rest & digest state, the less magnesium you’ll lose calming yourself down, and the more you’ll have available for baby!
I’m also a big fan of getting your magnesium from easy to absorb natural sources. So here’s my favourites!
- FOOD! Here’s three easy foods rich in magnesium – shrimp, avocado, and asparagus. And all three are awesome together.
- Drink Nettle Tea – this is a herbal tea that I simply can’t say enough good things about. It’s a nutritional powerhouse. Made from the dried leaves of the nettle plant, nettle tea is packed with high amounts of many important minerals and nutrients for pregnancy – notably calcium and magnesium as well as iron, phosphorus, potassium, manganese, copper, boron, strontium, and vitamins – A, C, K, and B, and phytonutrients – chlorophyll, beta-carotene, lutein, zeaxanthin, quercetin, rutin. Can you see why I love this one! Grow your own nettles or purchase the tea. Drink three cups daily during pregnancy for nutritional support.
- Take Epsom Salt Baths Epsom salt is high in magnesium and it’s easily absorbed through the skin. Plus an evening bath is just the best for relaxation!
Add magnesium into your pregnancy journey, and report back in a week’s time – I’m willing to bet that if you incorporate these suggestions, your body start feeling A LOT better! And I would love to hear about that.
P.S. Want to enjoy your pregnancy, even more? What if you had a simple step by step technique to release worry and build trust, ease, and security? Get the Roadmap to Peaceful Pregnancy.